Take a walk - There are fine walks from and near the village, many of which offer spectacular views over the Lot River and valley. Especially fun is the walk along the old river Tow Path below the village. There are details, including maps, in our home. The site randonnées-lotoises.net describes some of the local walks. Consider the outstanding selection of wonderful walks in the region posted on the internet!
Canoeing- A favorite canoe trip of various lengths is down the Cele River. It is perfect for a family outing with a picnic. You can hire canoes at the local company Kalapca at the bottom of the village by the river (tel.: 0565 30 29 51). They also offer a wide range of other activities, including climbing and spelunking. You can also hire canoes just upriver at Bouziès (tel.: 0565 35 98 88), or in Cahors (tel.: 0565 35 91 59).
Bicycling (click to see specific rides and routes) – Enjoy the sun on your back and the wind in your face as you bicycle through quaint 14th century villages and along the roads winding around the rolling hills and lush greenery of this region of France. Tour aimlessly or set out on a predefined course to one of many wineries or chateaus near Maison d'Être. Sources for hiring bicycles:
- Hotel des Falaises, Bouziès (Tel.: 0565 31.26.83; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- La Roue Libre, Place du Communal in Vers (Tel.: 0565 31 45 57)
- Cycles 7, 417 quai de Regourd, Cahors (Tel.: 0565 22 66 60)
Fishing - The River Lot is one of the finest carp and catfish rivers in France. It is famous for its record carp (approaching 30 lbs!). Anglers may fish at night all year. Note, to preserve fish populations the Lot is a ”no kill” river.
Tennis - There is a court in Tour de Faure which may be rented by the hour. Inquire at the village store.
Golf – Whether you are a seasoned golfer or have never yet played but always wanted to, golfing in the Lot is an unparelleled experience! Lush green fairways await you (as do carefully groomed bunkers) at several beautiful courses near Maison d'Être. You can rent golf clubs at some courses and at several golf shops in the area. Be sure to call ahead to reserve tee times. Some recommended courses:
- Roucous (par 71, 5535 yds) – 25 miles
- Montal (par 54, 3400 yds) – 26 miles
- Souillac (par 70, 5100 yds) – 31 miles
- Ferme Equestre in Pech Merle near Cabrerets (Tel.: 0565 24 76 51 or 0611 93 25 23)
- Pompon-Club, “Champ Grand,” (Tel. : 0565 31 78 00 or 0611 59 90 39) in Eslauzels
- Chez Richard et Nanou in Belfort du Quercy, Near Lalbenque, you can hire a horse by the hour or the day, or take a “Rando-bivouac,” a guided afternoon ride followed by a night out under canvas(Tel. : 0565 24 72 48).
Concerts – Cahors hosts the Festival of the Blues every July. If you prefer classical music, there is the famous festival in St. Céré and also one in Limogne every summer.
“Spelunking” or cave diving – The region is one of the greatest spelunking areas in the world. The local company Kalapca is at the bottom of the village by the river and offers caving opportunities (tel.: 0565 30 29 51).
Boating – You may take a ride on a pleasure boat from Bouzies or from Cahors. You may also rent your own boat for a day or a few hours. The 40 miles of river between Luzech and St. Cirq Lapopie has recently been reopened to pleasure boats. You can hire one for a day or more from
- Lot Navigation in Bouziès (Tel.:0565 30 24 41)
- Baboumarine in Cahors (Tel.: 0565 30 08 99)
- Crown Blue Line in Douelle (Tel.: 0565 20 08 79)
Birdwatching -St. Cirq Lapopie is especially interesting to ornithologists. Since the area is not sprayed for bugs, there are many more birds present than you may be accustomed to hearing. Listen for them! A list of birds in the area is available online.
Around Town in Cahors -To find out what’s happening in and around Cahors at any time, visit the Cahors Mairie site.